Top 5 favorite things about midwestern autumns

  1. First of all autumn in the midwest is short lived, so you just have to soak it up while you have it.  Autumn can last 2 weeks, or 12 weeks.  You never know because the weather in the middle of the country is so fickle.
  2. Colorful trees make the changing season, the season of death, worth all the heat you put up with during the summer.  I seriously love each day that comes with the changing leaves.  The tree in my front yard is a maple tree, and the first day I notice the tips of the leaves starting to turn red, and I just die inside, because I know it is going to erupt with fire colored leaves in a few weeks.  It is beautiful.
  3. PUMPKIN PATCHES!  I love getting pumpkins and gourds and mums.  When I see the first sign advertising pumpkins for sale, well, I get very excited.  There is nothing better than getting up on a crisp fall morning, driving to a field out in the middle of Missouri or Kansas and strolling around with your love, or your family, and picking out the perfect pumpkin.  Plus most places have hot apple cider, caramel apples, and lots of fun.  It makes for a really good day.
  4. Every hot drink that I can consume.  I drink coffee year round.  Usually always hot, even if it is 100 + degrees outside.  However, when there is a cold bite in the air, there is seriously nothing more delicious than a cup of hot chocolate (perhaps with some mint schnapps) or a mug of apple cider (hello fireball) and sitting on your porch, or around a fire pit.  It is the best way to enjoy the autumnal nights.
  5. Fireplaces.  If you are lucky enough to have a working fireplace, then you know what I am talking about.  I love the smell of wood burning and just being warmed by this hearth of heat.  Curl up with a good book, and mug of something delicious, and a big ol fire. Love Love LOVE.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! I am in love with colorful trees, hot drinks and fireplaces as well :)

    Aniqa Dreams

    ReplyDelete