Tattoo Tuesday




Name or Alias: Gigi Fair
Age: 27
Occupation: pinup, esthetician, makeup artist, mom
Age of first tattoo: 17
Favorite tattoo: I love them all but the portrait of my mom is closest to my heart!
Featured tattoo/location: Pirate ship in stormy seas that covers my back!
Artist/shop/location of feature tattoo: Steve Smith at Extreme Tattoo in Piqua, OH 
about your featured tattoo- is there a background story about why you chose it, or maybe a special meaning? I have a love of all things nautical and a few other nautical tattoos so this seemed fitting. I wanted to have stormy seas because I had just come out of a very difficult time in life. The tattoo was a cover up and I have a lot of trust in the artist so I left the rest of the details up to him. I think you get a better tattoo that way!
2) Do you have any other tattoos? If so, what do you have and where? An angel on the side of my hip, a mermaid and ocean scene 3/4 sleeve on my left arm, An anchor behind my left ear, the eye of horus on the front of each shoulder, my full pirate ship back piece, a rose for each of my children , a spider/human morph , the word l'espoir (means hope in french), a very small star, and my mother's senior portrait all on my right arm. The words sink and swim on the outside of my hands, a skull and dia de los muertos couple on my right leg, a seahorse unicorn on my left leg, a hummingbird on my food and a small word on the other foot, stars on my side, a very small design at the bottom of my breast bone, and a raven in a frame on my ribs. Wow I have never had to list them like that!
3) Do you plan on getting more? Absolutely! I look at my body and still see lots of blank canvas. 


4) How do your family and friends feel about your tattoo(s)? Have you run into any adversity or negativity because of them? When I first started they really didn't know what to think. I am lucky to have a very loving and supportive family! Now they just know that you see a person, not their tattoos. 
When I started getting tattooed it wasn't as accepted in the workplace as it is now, so a lot of people didn't understand why I would still get them when I had to wear at least 3/4 sleeves in the summer! For a long time I had to cover up for work and my bosses didn't understand why I would continue to get tattooed and my even more tattooed friends didn't understand why I wasn't completely offended by this. I just continued doing what I wanted and thankfully now don't have to be concerned with covering them! I do live in a small town so I sometimes get some negative comments from strangers or what I call the "old lady stares" especially when I'm out with my kids! Yes I am a mother, and a damn good one even though I am tattooed! It doesn't bother me though, it just makes me giggle. The only thing I really don't like is when strangers ask me why I got them like I owe them an explanation.
5)What's the most interesting experience you've ever had in regards to your tattoos? Everytime a stranger wants to show me their one terrible tattoo because they see mine, or tell me what generic idea with 20 things incorporated in it that they want! I have also had strangers touch me to try to move clothing so they can see my work better too! I am amazed at others etiquette sometimes. 
6) Any advice for those interested in getting tattooed but haven't gotten one yet? cheap isn't always better! Do your research and don't get tattooed because its the cool thing right now, do it because you want too! It does bother me to see such young people get tattooed in the most visible places because its the trend. 

7) What is your least favorite part of being tattooed? Do you have any stories/advice to people who are not tattooed? My least favorite part is just being uncomfortable when I am sitting for long sessions. That is almost worse for me than the pain! You know its going to hurt and some spots more than others, but that is part of the process! My advice for people who are not tattooed is use your manners, I really don't care wether you like them or not, please don't ask me where I got my tattoos done if you really have 0% interest in going. Also "Heeeyyyy girl nice tats" is never an appropriate pick up line :)

No comments:

Post a Comment