Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ Retro Minx




** If you are looking for a custom petticoat, look no further!! This gal has a great store and beautiful items for purchase! **

Retro Minx // Facebook // Etsy

Where are you from or where is your store/brand/items based out of?  I'm originally from Arlington, TX and my store is based out of Fort Worth, TX.

How did you get your store started? In the spring of 2010, I was going thru the aftermath of a break-up, and dealing with some other unpleasant things in my life. I needed a creative outlet to help me heal and to motivate me. I had always been very artistic, but had never taken on sewing. My grandmother had given me a beautiful new sewing machine for Christmas the year before that had just been sitting in my closet collecting dust. Since fashion and vintage were my 2 passions, I decided to bite the bullet and teach myself how to sew very basic patterns. I ordered some vintage apron patterns off of ebay, bought some material, and went to work. I made my very first apron a few days after I struggled to hook the machine up in my apartment kitchen. A few trips to the fabric store later, I came home with more apron fabric and a bolt of white tulle (which I bought on a whim). I made a few more aprons, but what was really calling out to me was the tulle that I had bought just for 'the heck of it'. Petticoats have been a life long love of mine and I had quite a few vintage ones in my collection. I wanted to teach myself how to make one, so I spent weeks researching online and watching how to videos, as well as studying vintage patterns from the 1950s. Well, after several ill-fated attempts, I finally created a very modest petti (or something resembling one!) I gave it a rest for about a week (I had been staying up until 3:00am trying to perfect my gathering skills) and created my first fluffy white petticoat in early October 2010. I had finally perfected the method, and soon after I went hog wild buying more colors of tulle, ribbon, thread, embellishments, etc. Since then I have upgraded my life (I now own a home and have a studio room devoted to my shop) and have made hundreds of custom orders for ladies all over the world!
What inspires you? Fashion and lingerie of the 1950s, old technicolor musicals, fairies and flowers, old school New York City, 80s music, burlesque, saloon girls and showgirls of the 1800s, Tim Burton movies, nature, Carol Brent, my sticker album from when I was little (seriously!), Christmas and holidays. Inspiration can also come in the most unexpected places, for instance I once created a petti based on a color combo I saw on a pump at a gas station!

How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite items? I opened in early 2010 and didn't start selling my pettis until later that year. At first, I sold fascinators that I had made and vintage clothing items. After I taught myself how to make pettis, I included those as well, but I soon discovered that the pettis were the most popular items in my shop and everything else was then slowly phased out. My absolute favorite pettis are the classic white and classic red ones. Those are very 1950s inspired, and my best sellers. I also really loved a petti I created for a bride last month that was 20 yards of solid black tulle, with an emerald green ribbon customized with green rhinestones. She was so thrilled with it and it made me so happy that I was able to create something for her to wear on her special day!

What celebrity would you most like to wear, or indorse your items? Drew Barrymore. She is my favorite actress! I have always loved her sense of style and she is certainly a free spirit who does her own thing (which is what my pettis are all about!)
If you had to use only one word to describe your company, what would it be? Minxy ;)

What is your biggest pet peeve? People who are judgemental and quick to dismiss someone as being 'a certain way'. People are like snowflakes, every one of us is different and we are all very complex. There is not one particular category I fall into, I am just 'Lori'! Oh, I also hate it when servers at fast food resturants interupt you while you are trying to place an order!

What are your favorite websites? http://www.etsy.com/http://www.ebay.com/http://www.youtube.com/

What would people be surprised to learn about you? I LOVE gangster movies and action flicks! I adore the Godfather trilogy, Goodfellas, Scarface, anything with Al Pacino or Robert De Niro! People are always surprised to see my dvd collection and find movies like Dog Day Afternoon and The Untouchables next to my collection of Esther Williams dvds! Oh, and I really love good looking Italian men also ;)





1 comment: