Nearly Famous Pinup Wednesday




Shana Nicole // "The Space City Sweetheart" // Facebook //

Age: 27

Occupation: Marketing and Accounting Coordinator for a Refrigerant Company

Where are you from: Houston, Texas

Favorite photographer to work with: My best friend, Charlie Girl-- we have so much fun. 

Featured photo(s):
Various images from Paper Moon Photography by Charlie Girl, and Dynamite Dames


Artist/Photographer/location of featured photo(s)
I either took them here, in Houston, or while visiting them in DFW!


Tell me about your featured photo(s). When were they taken? Why are they your favorite?
Most of them are recent-- but a few are from my very first pinup shoot, a long time ago. I haven't changed that much at all! I think I've grown a lot since then, though... but I think that there's something in your first set that is special to you, and appeals to you. It's like your first love. My favorite one, though, that I sent in is the "I heart candy" set. I had the most fun with it.

How long have you been modeling/enjoying photography?
Enjoying photography? Forever. I have studied photography in school and have always been fascinated with it. Enjoying pinup? I think since I could crawl. My grandma could have been a pinup model herself, and was of that era. I've been obsessed with it my whole life. I used to listen to the oldies station (50s-60s) while everyone else was listening to Ace of Base, Britney Spears, or Nelly. It's just part of who I am. Instead of just watching cartoons as a child, I really did watch Elvis movies. Instead of playing teacher, I played dress up with my grandma's jewelry and my big box of clothes... imagining I was a glamorous woman. Do you want to know who I pretended to be? The beautiful woman on my grandmother's wall and in her pictures. I later found out that was Marilyn Monroe.

I guess, to answer the real question, is that I've been modeling for two years. That's when I finally got the guts. I've dreamed of doing it for much, much longer.  It took a really scary event to make me realize that life isn't promised, and that I need to do all the things I have been scared to do. I'll never be skinnier, younger, more this or more that. I need to love myself, and enjoy life.








Who are your favorite Pinup Models? Past or present inspiration?
Stereotypical... but Marilyn Monroe. She was my first inspiration. I also will be completely cliche' and say Bettie Page, because I have hair just like her and she's a beautiful brunette that changed the world. But I also LOVE Jayne Mansfield, and Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland, Jane Russell... I could go on and on. Those were my idols as a young woman... not Britney Spears or Mariah Carey.

What is some of your favorite clothing lines? Favorite Designers?
I mean... every girl like me is going to say they like Pinup Girl Clothing, Stop Staring, Bettie Page Clothing, Betsey Johnson (not really "retro" but fun)... but I really like to either find real vintage, thift shop, or have my friend Cassandra make my clothes. She's very talented, and runs her own company-- Pin Up One-- and we create some awesome things together. She's on facebook--  http://www.facebook.com/pinuponezomboutique
It's so much better than looking like every other girl-- and nothing is worse than showing up somewhere with another girl wearing the same PUG Niagra dress as you.

If you could shoot with any photographer, who would it be? 
Gee... I plan on shooting with Roy Varga one day soon, because I've been drooling over his pictures for years. I can't wait... I love it when people travel and come to Houston! Celeste Giuliano's work is also flawless... one day, I hope to make the trip to shoot with her.

Stay Sweet,
Kem

1 comment: