Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ Becca's Bombshells






Where are you from?
I live in DeKalb. It’s about 2 hours from Chicago and surrounded by corn fields. I always say it’s like living on an island in a sea of corn. It’s a small town with most of the comforts of a big one.

How did you get your store started
Gosh I’ve been drawing just about as long as I can remember. I started off drawing crude people that kind of looked like the Peanuts characters and my style has just sort of evolved over the years. When I was in high school I discovered Bettie Page and became fascinated with pin-ups and pin-up art. There is something so magical about a good pin-up girl; they have an energy, a smile, and a sense of humor or drama in their poses that I just adore.  

What inspires you?
I would say pop culture is my biggest inspiration; TV, movies, cartoons… A lot of what I watch inspires me to create art or create art based on what I have watched.  






What are some of your favorite pieces?
As a huge fan of horror I thought it might be fun to draw the ever-feuding Vampira and Elvira together. I threw them in The Dragula from The Munsters cause it’s one of the coolest cars ever.
The Bride of Frankenstein is probably the character I draw most and here is a slightly rockabilly take complete with a Hello Kitty/ Jason Vorhees tattoo.
This is probably my absolute favorite, an old-school pin-up version of Janine and Slimmer from The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.
Here is Rachel from Blade Runner complete with origami unicorn! I had a chance to meet Sean Young recently and she signed it for me.
A fun mash-up of The Bride of Frankenstein and  Frankenberry cereal. I can’t believe they never used a Bride of Frankenberry in the commercials?




Which artists have most inspired you?
I have been most influenced by comic book artists like Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon), Byrne Hogarth (Tarzan), Adam Warren (Empowered), and Jaime Hernandez (Love & Rockets). But if you look real hard there is a bit of Alphonse Mucha and John William Waterhouse in there too.
  
If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?
Barbarellapsychadella. I’m kind of a big fan of the movie Barbarella, can you tell?

What is your biggest pet peeve?
Outside noise. I live in a college town and the parties around here get loud and go all….night…long…. I’m fine with a good party but not at the cost of ALL my beauty sleep.

What are your favorite websites?
I spend most of my time on tumblr and facebook but I am a huge fan of the Java’s Bachelor Pad website. It’s been one of my favorite pin-up resources since my earliest interneting days, not to mention they publish a pretty rad magazine. Check out issues 19, 20 & the forthcoming 21 for cartoons by me.

What is your dream job?
When I was a kid I used to tell people I wanted to be Elvira when I grew up (Very practical career choice I know).  These days I would be happy just to draw enough pretty pictures of pretty women to pay the rent.



What would people be surprised to learn about you?
I love Matlock, it’s weird but it’s true.  I used to watch it all the time as a kid with my grandpa, he got me hooked. It’s silly but I love it.

Stay Sweet,
Kem

No comments:

Post a Comment