A peek into my life



           Describe 3 significant memories from your childhood.         

  • Birthdays.  At my house growing up, my parent made sure that your birthday was always something extra special.  My mom started a trend of birth"week", which is still celebrated, much to my husband's dismay, to this day.  Because my birthday, along with most of my siblings, have birthdays either one, or around, holidays birth weeks were a way to make sure that it actually got celebrated.  This didn't mean that we got thousands of huge presents, it just meant that we got a whole week to really celebrate, well, US with friends and family.  As a child, we always got to go out to eat at our favorite restaraunt.  Since we lived in the country, going out to dinner was something really, really special. Sometimes that meant Olive Garden, and sometimes it meant ordering pizza from Dominos.  My dad and mom would also fix on of our favorite meals during that week too.  This is one of my favorite things about growing up.  It was special and always made your feel special.
  • Summer.  This particular time of year was always memorable.  I don't think I have ever spent so much time out side.  We were always encouraged to play outside, and we have unlimited resources that would beckon us from our beds!  Basketball goal, trampoline, badmitton set, volley ball net, and the most amazing tree fort you would have ever seen.  Not to mention bikes, and skates, and just a pair of beat down shoes.  On top of having a child's dream of outdoor activities at our fingertips, my brother and I were heavily involved in summer sports.  I think there is something to be said for kids that have to find their own magic during the summer.  If you are busy playing outside you learn a lot.  If you fall down, and nothing is broken, get up and keep playing.  There is nothing better the clean air and lots of sunshine.  Dirt under your fingernails just means that you were probably planting something, that within a few months, would produce something yummy.  Also kids that play sports are less likely to fall into a bad crowd, and these days, there are a lot of bad crowds.
  • Halloween.  In my house, Halloween was not a joke.  We always had the BEST costumes.  My mom has always been really great at theatrical makeup, and my grandmother can literally make a paper bag look like a couture dress!  Between the two of them, our costumes were amazing!  My mom always made this holiday fun, silly, and about what it should be about: dressing up and using your imagination!
Stay Sweet,
Kem

10 comments:

  1. Explains a lot about you. :) Mine would be Hawaii, showing my dogs in 4-H and working at the local movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! I worked at a movie theater for like one month, and it that one month of time I actually worked two days. But for an entire month I got to see free movies, so really it was a win/win.

      Delete
  2. Funny, Halloween and Birthdays are big on my list too. On my birthday I would always get to skip school and spend all day shopping with the $100 my mom would give me... probably where I learned my love for bargain shopping.. I learned early on the joy of spending less to get more! And my mom always hand made our Halloween costumes... no dopey plastic smocks and masks for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are more similar than I ever knew!!!

      Delete
  3. Love this, Kem! We always had birthday weeks to growing up. :) I still do this with my kids. And I completely go overboard on their parties, so I hope that their birthdays will be really special memories for them when they are grown up! (I just bought my first supplies for Maelie's 4th birthday party and it is 8 months away!! It's going to be a BALLERINA party!!!)
    I just started thinking about Halloween this week too. Last year, Haven was Mrs. Felicity Fox (from Fantastic Mr. Fox!). That costume almost killed me, but the finished product was SO worth it! We didn't "do" Halloween at my house growing up, so I really want my kids to have great memories of their homemade costumes and trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kodie, I LOVE seeing your parties for your girls! and I was in lust with Haven costume from last year! I love thoughtful costumes and see looked amazing! just when I see something awesome on pinterest, my first thought is Kodie is going to do this, and it will be 10000 times better!

      Delete
  4. Halloween was always my favourite holiday, and big in our family too. I remember my sister dressing up as a scare crow decoration and scaring the bejeezus out of teenagers thinking it was fake hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it would be fun to do that too!!!

      Delete
  5. Great childhood memories--my family always made a big deal of birthdays too, and made them special! Halloween was never a huge deal for my family, but we really did it up at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about other peoples traditions! It is really fun, and I think a neat was to integrate fun things into your own family. My husband's family always opened one gift on christmas eve, and so now Tim and I exchanged one gift (usually new pj's) on christmas eve. It is really fun to pick up new traditions!

      Delete