Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ Rock Candy Boutique



Rock Candy // Facebook // Website

The super sweet lady, Shannon, who owns this store is incredibly sweet and has a style all her own.  Her store is always stocked with funky and unique vintage pieces.  Her store is also a great place to stop for Third Friday's on 39th Street in Kansas City.  I love supporting small business, and Rock Candy is one that I LOVE!



Where are you from?
I've lived in Kansas City all my life. I actually grew up in the Kansas suburbs, but my heart's always been in Midtown.

How did you get you store/business started?I was living in a building that had an empty storefront. I'd always loved vintage clothing and the "thrill of the hunt" and daydreamed about opening my own store. I went on a vacation to California and visited some vintage stores out there and I came back with a clear vision of what I wanted my store to be. I started building up a stock of clothes and within a few months I was ready to open!

What inspires you?I've always loved watching old movies. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn- they had such great style.


How long have you been open and what are some of your favorite items?I opened in September 2008 in Merriam. About a year later I had to move the store and I leased a space on 39th Street. I loved the neighborhood but the space was small and I outgrew it within a few months. I moved again in January 2011 to a much larger space just a block down the street and it turned out to be a great move- now I'm surrounded by several other stores and restaurants, and there is a real sense of community among the shop owners here.
It's hard to pick a favorite item- the thing about vintage is, every piece is one of a kind. Even if it is an item that was mass produced in its day, clothes take on a history from their previous owners- every item in my store has a story!


What celebrity would you most like to have praise your store/products?Honestly, I don't care that much about celebrity- I want my store and my clothes to be accessible to everyone. Of course it's always fun when a celebrity does come in, but my customers come from all walks of life and I've met some really interesting people since opening the store, and even made some great new friends!

If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?Resilient. I've had some setbacks but I've always managed to overcome them, and in the process I've become better and stronger than ever.

What is your biggest pet peeve?Oh, where to begin? People who never seem to come up with an original idea? People who take credit for others' ideas or work? No, I know- people who eat with their mouths open! I hate that!

What are your favorite websites?Facebook, for staying connected to my customers and friends. Etsy, for seeing what other people are making and selling. Chow, for recipes and other food talk (I also love to cook!). Yelp for the restaurant reviews. I read a lot of style blogs, too.

What would people be surprised to learn about you?Not that much, really- I'm pretty much an open book. I usually say what's on my mind. People are often surprised when I tell them my age, though.



Stay Sweet,
Kem





1 comment:

  1. Nice interview. I love going to Rock Candy and so does my husband. She really is a sweet lady, and her dog is so cute too. What a cool place :) I wish her lots more success!

    ReplyDelete