Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ The Barking Lot Grooming Shop

I was lucky enough to get to know the owner of The Barking Lot through roller derby! She was one of my teammates, and has a heart as big as Texas!  Heather is an amazing lady, and from meeting her once, you know, that she has a love for animals! (Those are some of my favorite kinds of people)

The Barking Lot // Website // Facebook




Where are you from? 
I am from K.C. In the heart of Midtown.


How did you get your store/business started? 
When I decided I was going to open my very own grooming shop, I started to save up some money over the course of months. I was determined to get it up and running without taking out a loan. I kept my eyes open for deals on things I needed for my shop. I enlisted the help of my very talented friends and family. My wonderful friend is an Architect, and she built my shop in 3D before my very eyes. She calculated my building supplies and costs. Another friend got me a great discount on the paint I needed. My amazing boyfriend donated his talent and built my counter and my doggy daycare. Another friend built my website and did a most fabulous job.
I turned my hopes into blood, sweat and tears. We began to build, paint, sand, clean and decorate. What started as a little dream, turned into reality. And it would not have been possible without the generous help and support of my loved ones.


What inspires you?
I try to keep company with positive people. I don't like to hang out with people that dwell on the bad things in their life,start drama, or constantly argue with their spouse and friends. It's really inspiring to be around genuine people who want to be happy and are always working towards improving their life.


My son is my best inspiration to strive to be a better person.

How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite items? 

I have only been open for 4 months.  Since I offer services, I will say that my favorite ones are of the creative variety. I love dying dog hair. I love shaping Mohawks. More than that, I love shaping a Mohawk and then dying it! 


What celebrity would you most like have praise your store/product(s)? 
For some reason, I could really see Lady GaGa kicking it in my shop.


If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be? 
Grrrrrr









What is your biggest pet peeve?

When people start of with " I'm not one to gossip, but....."
I dislike when people reply "K' in a text. I loathe when you accelerate to pass someone doing 60 mpr, and they gun it to 70 mpr. I hate when you miss someone's call, call them immediately back and get no answer. I think it's stupid when parents take a normal name, then butcher it into something "Unique", and all they've done is guarantee that their kid will have to correct everyone for their entire life. I hate seeing a dog in the back of a truck. 
I could go all day....


What are your favorite websites?
I mainly stick to the news. Nothing special.


What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I won the 2009 "Playa Hater of the year" award. I talk a lot of shit, but deep down, I'm a big softy, and I cry while watching feel-good movies. I have a lot of silver hairs. I still have all of 

my X-Men comics from when I was a kid. I scream like a girl.


Stay Sweet,
Kem




No comments:

Post a Comment