Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ Brody's Bakery







// Brody's Bakery // Website //


The owner of Brody's Bakery, Katie, has become a good friend of mine. We met through Pin Up Modeling.  Weird, I know! She is a super sweet lady, with a heart of gold.  She has probably the driest sense of humor I have ever known, and with that whips up some of the yummiest things I have ever seen!




Where are you from?
Kansas City, MO. 


How did you get your store/business started?
I fell into baking completely by accident. When I went vegan and began to have to cater to my son's food allergies (and then later learned that I had Celiac disease and had to eat gluten-free), I immediately noticed a lack of any good tasting desserts at the grocery store, or anywhere else for that matter. At that time my son was in a special school program with many other children with food allergies and baking for him quickly turned into baking for many other children and having their parents come to me for birthday cakes and treats for other occasions. When I saw how big the need truly was for allergen free desserts, I decided to throw myself into baking full-time. 


What inspires you?
Seeing the positive reactions from my customers, definitely. Seeing the look on a child's face when they realize they can have cupcakes at a party just like all of the other children, or baking a birthday cake for someone who has told me that they haven't had one in 15 years! It's definitely shown me how much "little things" can matter. 


How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite items?
We've been in business for about 3 years now and I can honestly say that the majority of our cupcakes are my favorite things...maybe our chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting! 


What celebrity would you most like have praise your store/product(s)?
I have no need or even desire for any celebrity clients or big buzz around my products. Although we obviously cater to all ages, positive feedback from my kid clients is my all-time favorite. Who's more honest then kids? 


If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?

Dedicated and stubbornly so. I've faced a great deal of challenges in keeping my business up and running, but I haven't given up yet!


What is your biggest pet peeve?
People who call and try to order a 3 tiered wedding cake that they want to pick up in an hour and then get mad when I can't meet that request. The grocery store couldn't even accommodate that, let alone a small business! Plan ahead and we'll make you something marvelous!


What are your favorite websites?
The Post-Punk Kitchen, Fat-free Vegan.com...I'd say I divide my time pretty equally between websites but those are my two most beloved. 



What would people be surprised to learn about you?
People always make the remark to me that I must just hate sweets having to be around them 24/7, but I don't and don't think I'm even capable of that. I genuinely love my own products (a 

little too much)!




Stay Sweet,
Kem

No comments:

Post a Comment