Nearly Famous ~ Pinup Wednesday!





Age: 25
Occupation: I'm somewhat of a Jane of many trades. By day, I work as a vintage lifestyle/pin up model for BombshellShocked Vintage, as well as a vintage clothing dealer and owner of my own small online vintage clothing business, Psychosurplus Vintage. By night, I get gussied up to shake a tail feather as a burlesque performer and cocktail server. I also work independently as a freelance painter & illustrator, in addition to curating group gallery exhibitions.


Where are you from: I hail from Chicago, IL, born and raised, but it just so happens that my husband and I are preparing for our big move to Oakland, CA at the end of the month. I will always and forever be a midwestern girl at heart, but I'm excited for the change!
Favorite photographer to work with: I have worked with many photographers throughout Chicago that I adore, but as of late, one of my favorite photographers to shoot with has been Gil Leora, photographer for the women's derby team Windy City Rollers. We worked together on a fabulous pin up shoot for my January page feature in the Garter Girls Holdin' Up Th Scene 2012 Pin Up Calender.


Featured photo(s): 1 & 2) BombshellShocked Vintage; 3) Windy City Burlesque Fest 2011; 4) Voyeurism Shoot in studio with Atomic Jaguar Productions; 5) Crystal Jones Collection




Artist/Photographer/location of featured photo(s): (With the exception of photograph #5, the hair and make up in all of the featured photos shown has been done by myself) Photos 1 & 2 were taken on location in Chicago by Nicole Hughes, proprietess of BombshellShocked Vintage for her spring & fall collections. Photo 3 was taken by Kris Abigail of Vaudezilla Productions at the 2011 Windy City Burlesque Festival, held this past March. Photo 4 was taken for a Voyeurism shoot in my studio by Xza Louise Higgins of Atomic Jaguar Productions. Photo 5 is from a mod shoot collection for Chicago deisgner Crystal Jones, photographed in studio by Maureen Peabody.




Tell me about your featured photo(s). When were they taken? Why are they your favorite? These photos are a varying selection of shots from this past year. Some are more recent, some are from earlier in the spring. It was hard to narrow down which photos from my portfolio I wanted to include, because there's a hefty chunk of work from several artists/photographers that i have worked with, that I have yet to have received my finished images from. The images shown I particularly like in a group togther because the versatile work that I do, ranging from pin up to lifestyle to high fashion. The photographers that are responsible for these shots are all photographers that I had a blast working with and for the most part have worked with recurrently.


How long have you been modeling/enjoying photography?: I have been modeling for the past 13 years, I suppose I had a rather young start with print and young adult cutesy stuff, blah, blah, blah...haha. I've always worked freelance as an independent contractor, and as I hit my late teens - early 20s, I was offered more and more work in multiple genres of the "modeling" world. Now, in my mid twenties, I am more established in the art of pin up, which is what I have always been most passionate about. And though there certainly are women of color in this particular part of the industry, it isn't quite as often that you see brown skin classic pin up/cheesecake/noir models. I look forward to furthering my career and continuing to establish myself.


Who are your favorite Pinup Models? Past or present inspiration? There are tons of beautiful women who have been notable pin ups in both the past and present. Currently, I am a huge fan of contemporary pin up Angelique Noire, I think she's wonderful. But I have such a soft spot for gorgeous models of the past including Josephine Baker (though she was more of a performer and erotic model), Sophia Loren, and Blondell Cooper.


What is some of your favorite clothing lines? Favorite Designers? I have a HUGE collection vintage clothing, as I'm a sucker for true classics, but I will say that I am a fan of contemporary reproduction labels Stop Staring! as well as Rockin' B Clothing.




If you could shoot with any photographer, who would it be? I'm torn. I would absolutely love to shoot with either Viva Van Story or Ellen von Unwerth. It would truly be an honor!


Stay Sweet,
Kem

2 comments:

  1. She's very pretty! I like her in the last dress :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! I love that last dress too! Gorgeous, right?

      Delete