Sweet Taste of Freedom ~ Atomic Photography



Atomic Photography// Facebook // Website

Where are you from?
I was born in Kearney, Nebraska, but I moved around alot from Columbus, NE to Fort Collins, Loveland, Colorado, Peoria Illinois, and finally here to Lawrence, KS. I have spent several summers in Oklahoma with my father. 

How did you get your store/business started?
I started out by taking silly photos with my girlfriends on location with my boyfriend’s Pentax K-1000 film SLR. I did a few wedding gigs for free, and I finally started the business by doing a TON of research into photography and business. I have spent the last few years in college finishing my entrepreneurship degree in visual merchandising and design. 

I grew up in an entrepreneurial family, with my dad owning and operating a mechanic shop, and my mother taking care of the books. My grandparents owned their own plumbing business, so it seemed natural for me to go in to business for myself. I never thought I would end up a business woman, but I have to admit my passion for marketing and business. My “damn-the-man!” attitude sometimes goes against some of this, but its so freeing for me to not have to answer to a corporate a-hole boss with a big ego and a personal agenda. I have worked in many situations, but the only thing I really see myself doing is owning my own business. I bartend on occasion at Liberty Hall in Lawrence, and it has given me some amazing opportunities to stretch my wings and practice all the things I have learned in college. 

In 2009, my boyfriend and I had an idea to start a photography coalition, giving Lawrence something it lacked. The rockabilly scene of the 90’s had shifted to more metropolitan areas, due to lifestyle factors and social impacts. Together, we have always appreciated vintage pinup imagery, beginning with me at 19 wanting my own pinup photos taken, and him offering to do the job. That never happened...(LOL) 

My best friend in high school just so happened to move to Lawrence after finding out she was pregnant, and after her parents had moved here. I was ecstatic. 

We began formulating an idea for a pin up photography company that would provide makeup and hair styling, along with a closet full of vintage clothing, for women to come and get pampered. We would utilize our talents; graphic design, photography, business know-how, cross promotion, etc. Its been tough, but man has it been fun!

What inspires you?
So many things. Obviously, the great pin up artists of the last century, Alberto Varga, Gil Elvgren, Art Frahm, and George Petty. They give us a frame of reference to work from. Many modern pin up models and photographers give us sparks of inspiration to design our lighting. My personal favorites are Shannon Brooke, Roy Varga and Shameless Photography. I have a passion for discovering new lighting techniques, and they are always pushing the envelope. I also look at what photographers are doing in Europe and Australia, mostly because they can be ahead of the curve. I believe its important to be on top of future trends.

Aside from pinup, i get inspired from photo blogs and from my friend’s work. Lawrence is so full of talent, and every art show I attend, I get inspired for color and composition. 

How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite items?
We have been running since 2009. My favorite services we provide are the Pin Up Parties. They are always a ton of fun, and just knowing that the ladies will walk around town all dolled up and feeling fantastic because of us is beyond humbling. 

If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?
Tenacious. 

What is your biggest pet peeve?
Ignorance. 

What are your favorite websites?
I frequent the meme’s over at icanhazcheezburger.com, and I can always find a laugh. 
http://louiselemans.com/, she has such an amazing eye for detail in fashion
pinuppost.com, for all my daily pin up viewing pleasure. And to check and see if my photo has been posted! 
http://photojojo.com/, I can always find something to put on my wishlist, or grab up for my fellow photog friends!
netflix.com, on my phone during those long waits at the DMV or bus rides. 
http://www.youtube.com/user/LisaFreemontStreet, I’ve been watching her video tutorials and reading her blog for years now, and I have learned so much about hair and makeup, really an amazing lady! 
And duh, your’s!

What would people be surprised to learn about you?
I know all the words to the Aladdin Soundtrack. Fact.



And I’m also really competitive, so bring it on


Atomic Photography is running a Valentine's Day Special!  Mention you found her from this blog!

$150 Valentine’s Day Shoot>> Cupid Themed
3 edited images Vintage Hair and MakeupOne choice from the wardrobe

4 comments:

  1. I love atomic photography!!! such talented photographers and the shoots always come out so great!!!

    ReplyDelete