1. Heating and cooling a home is where a lot of money is spent. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere, where heating is already part of your monthly payment, then you are set! But, most of us have to fork out some green when the temperature starts to cool. Depending upon the weather, every degree above 68 increases your overall fuel consumption by as much as 3 percent. So, kick your thermostat down, layer up your clothing and build a fire in the fire place! Enjoy the scents and smells of winter.
2. Have your vents and duct cleaned and inspected for leaks. Not only with the air circulation improve, but you won't be heating the outdoors on your own dime!
3. Install a programmable thermostat. This was one of the smartest things I have done in my house. Not only to I know exactly what degree my house is, but I can set it to kick on before I get home, so my house is only really really warm when I am there to enjoy it!
4. Close vents in rooms that do not get used that much. Don't forget to open them before your guests stay with you though!
5. Check for leaks around windows, doors, electrical outlets, etc. These can be sealed up with caulking or weather stripping. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but when it comes down to your hard earned money flying right out the window, suddenly, it is a big deal.
6. Lastly, check all lighting in your house. Make note of where you can switch to an energy efficient bulb or simply just a lower wattage light.
Don't Forget to enter the Sweet Tooth Giveaway for November!