Simple Sunday Wisdom





I am fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood that has plenty of wildlife.  In fact, my house has a large back yard that back ups to a small forest with a creek and plenty of tree cover.  During the early spring and summer it becomes so overgrown with fawna that we call it the Amazon.  


I have always had an affinity for animals.  I dreamed of being like a disney princess where animals would just show up for me when I started singing.  I realize now, that is a pipe dream.  Too bad, right?!?  I can however trick wildlife into showing up in my yard, and that is what we are talking about today.


In the midwest, I am blessed to have a menagerie of birds to watch!   In fact the birds that come to my house, I call them 'my birds'.  Like "Hey, Mr. Elliott, did you feed my birds today?"  I know I won't be able to own them, but I can convince them to live close to me!


There are certain things that you can do in your yard, or even patio, to attract birds and butterflies for your enjoyment.  



  1. Do a little research in your area to see what types of birds live near you and which types of plants will attract them.
  2. Food.  Butterflies enjoy fruit.  Place these items away from bird feeders.  Local garden stores should have seed mixes for birds in your area.  You can also provide fruit for birds too, such as, cherries, apples, peaches, along with suet and peanut butter for winter as well.
  3. Place your feeders in a spot that is visible from indoors.  I have a lot of squirrels in my area, so I have to choose feeders that are squirrel and raccoon resistant.  
  4. Birds and butterflies are attracted to bright colors, so choose a colorful line up when purchasing plants. 

I hope this gives you some insight into attract beauty into your yard or patio.  Besides those cute little chirpers will be so happy that you are helping them get set for the winter to come!

Stay Sweet,
Kem

1 comment: