Nearly Famous ~ Pinup Wednesday!




Name:  Victoria Dagger //Facebook fan page // Model Mayhem Portfolio  // Pop Antique Corsets & Future Vintage

Age: 24

Occupation: Grad student/fashion designer/proprietress, Pop Antique/Part-time model

Hometown:
Carmel, CA  Current Residence: San Francisco, CA

Favorite photographer to work with:
  How can I just choose one?  I shoot with Sam Guss, Lydia Chen, and Mask Photo regularly.  Araya Diaz is really funny to work with as well as being very adept at photography and concepts, plus she always works with a full team - fancy!  Antonio Abadia and Charles Chan Casela are a couple of young upstarts that also make shooting both very pleasant and fruitful.

Artist/Photographer/location of featured photo(s): REaD Picture, San Francisco, CA; Lydia Chen, Oakland, CA; Max Johnson, San Jose, CA; Charles Chan Casela, San Francisco, CA

Tell me about your featured photo(s). When were they taken? Why are they your favorite?
  Well, I didn't necessarily choose my most recognizable shots, but a variety of takes on the pinup theme.  I wish I got to shoot pinups more often.

The strawberry photo is from last summer, and it was one of the most fun shoots I've ever done.  REaD Picture has a series of nudes smashing fruit in his portfolio, so I made a "disposable" (if you will) corset and smashed a bunch of strawberries on it.  Miraculously, the first one I mangled turned into a heart shaped stain.  I also got to eat a lot of strawberries, which is probably why I remember it so fondly.
The other strawberry image, with the corset that looks like a strawberry, was purely because I fell in love with that corset ensemble and bought it as a sample from Electra Designs.  I just had to shoot in it.  That's actually my bedroom; normally the desk is covered with clutter.  Danielle Blanchett did the hair and Camille Ivy was our MUA.  This was February of last year, when I had been toying with my natural hair color.
As for the flamingo croquet picture, last December Lydia Chen asked me to model at a workshop she was hosting, themed "Christmas in Corsetry."  It was a spur of the moment shot, the croquet was composited in, of course.  I like it because it's silly and fun.
And lastly, a very recent shot!  Max Johnson and I were originally trying to recreate the look of a Mucha illustration, but ended up doing a test shoot of this early 20th century style gypsy pinup thing.  I'm very excited to reshoot the concept with a proper MUA and everything.

How long have you been modeling/enjoying photography? About two years.  I'm going to have to start lying about my age soon!


Who are your favorite Pinup Models? Past or present inspiration?  Though she doesn't specialize in pinup, Ulorin Vex has been my favorite model for years.  I have a great deal of respect for Mosh, naturally.  Sabina Kelley is also starting to be one of my favorites.  Past inspiration is more so from the classic pinup illustrators - Fritz Willis is one of my favorites, and of course I love Alberto Vargas.  Both illustrators tend to draw girls with a bit more dignity than some of the quintessential pinups.

What is some of your favorite clothing lines? Favorite Designers?  I have an unrelenting addiction to Betsey Johnson.  I make some of my own clothes, of course, especially corsets - my line is Pop Antique.  Other corsetmakers whose work I really admire are Dark Garden, particularly their Dollymop line, and Sparklewren.

If you could shoot with any photographer, who would it be?  Lillian Bassman, before it's too late!  Then, Ellen von Unwerth.  Can you tell I love working with female photographers?

Stay Sweet,
Kem

1 comment:

  1. Really nice pin up photos! I like the last one.

    ReplyDelete