Vintage Inspirations~ Let's bring back!

                                                                  ac·quaint·ance
[uh-kweyn-tns]–noun

1.a person known to one, but usually not a close friend.
2.the state of being acquainted.
                                                                                                             

The reason I bring this up, is because, I think our society is a little to flippant with the word friendship.  Flippant with the word and the idea.   My mother used to always say I should be so lucky to have enough true friends to count on one hand.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  As a young girl, I wanted more "friends" than I could possibly handle.  For the most part, I think people want to surround themselves with persons that fit the bill as a friend.  Whether they are good to them or not, you need to be surrounded.

This idea of friends or "posses" has seemed to grow. Why would you want to put yourself around people that do not really care for you, or about you? Where did this idea come from?  Has facebook and twitter furthered this concept?

Now, as an adult, I know who my friends are.  Along the way, people will come and go, some will grow with a stronger, deeper friendship, and some will need to move into the 'acquaintance' category.

I think we should bring back this idea of acquaintance.  There is nothing wrong with being someones acquaintance, and the sour taste of that word should be erased.  We all should be so lucky to have enough friends to count on one hand.  Those are the people that will be there when you need something. When you truly NEED something.

Stay Sweet,
Kem                                                                                                                                                          

4 comments:

  1. What I nice thought, Kem. Definitely something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I have a lot of acquaintances and only two real friends. Putting yourself around people that don't care about you is a negative in my opinion.

    Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am an acquaintance...but I hope you will allow me to visit from time to time.

    ReplyDelete