For Real Fridays

In June, I am going to be posting some real life helpful hints.  Now, there is nothing wrong with wanting to draw inspiration for new makeup applications or learn about the trendiest way to style your hair, but I do want to give a little more into the direction of real life application.  So, this is my "go" at it.
MEDICINE BOX

Every Summer and Winter I update my Medicine Cabinet.  I don't actually have a medicine cabinet, per say, but I do have a medicine box, that is stored in my linen closet.  I don't think it actually matters where your "medicinal needs" are stored, but more about what is inside it.

I am sure you were all aware that medicine expires, that includes prescriptions as well as over the counter stuff too.  Like rubbing alcohol, peroxide, neosporin, etc.  When was the last time you actually took a look in your medicine cabinet, cub bard, or where ever you store all your goods?  I usually say, just to keep up with seasonal stuff, to go through it once or twice a year.  

Here is a list of stuff that should be housed in every one's medicine "area".  Obviously, if you have outdated prescriptions, please throw them out.  If you need to get a refill on a script, fill it.  Use your own discretion here.  I don't believe this to be a finite list, but a good one to get you started and useful enough to make sure you have things on hand in case of an emergency.

  • An assortment of Band-Aids. Sizes, colors, etc...
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Cough Drops
  • Throat spray for sore throats
  • Calamine Lotion
  • Pepto Bismal
  • Tums
  • Allergy Relief (Claritin, Allegra)
  • Muncinex
  • Day-Quil and Night Quil
  • Day time and Night time cold relief
  • Neosporin or AD Ointment
  • Hydrocortosone Cream
  • Tylenol
  • Excedrin
  • Ibuprofen or Aleive
  • Thermometer
  • Heating Pad
  • Muscle Wraps
  • Asper-cream of Ben Gay Muscle Rub
This is not the be all, end all list, but a good start.  If you have children in your home, you will want to adapt this list to include children's over the counter medication.  The same with seasonal issue, such a flu items, during the fall and winter when people are more susceptible to those types of illness.  

I hope this helps guide you into a direction of mending or adding to your medicine cabinet.  Remember, especially in homes with young adults.  Drug use can start in the medicine cabinets at home, so please make sure to account for all prescription medications and make sure to update or dispose of outdated or unused portions of prescription drugs.

Stay Sweet,
Kem

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a medicine cabinet as well. I keep it all in a tight nit lunchbox! can't wait to read your real life helpful hints :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, a lot of medication, especially antibiotics (shame on you if you didn't finish them), should be returned to pharmacies for proper disposal.

    ReplyDelete