Spotlight Interview ~ Donna's Dress Shop

 For my next Spotlight Interview, I chose Ms. Donna, from Donna's Dress Shop in Kansas City.  I absolutely LOVE this store.  First, it has beautiful vintage clothing and new vintage inspired clothing.  Donna's also carries special little vintage jewelry pieces and cute little things that every girl desires of having!  Donna's Dress Shop always seems to have something that I need, not want, but *NEED* to have.  

If you live in Kansas City, or even remotely near KC, you MUST check this place out.  Plus Retro Vixen is right down the street which creates a beautiful duality in a shopping experience!
Make sure to friend Donna's Dress Shop on Facebook to be alerted to new items or sales in the store!



Where are you from?
I grew up in the suburbs of KC.
How did you get your store started
Since I could walk, my parents always took me to antique shops and flea markets. Every vacation we went on, we couldn’t get 20 miles down the road before we had to stop at another roadside junk stand, and I always loved it. When I was about five, I declared that one day I would have my own store. I just didn’t know what kind of store it would be. It wasn’t until many years later that I put the two together and decided what I really wanted to do!

What inspires you?

Old movies, trashy gossipy 70s paperbacks about has-been (now classic) movie stars, road trips, Liberace, antique shops, oversized jewelry, giant caftans, embroidery from Guatemala, polka dots, people with big hair

How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite  items?

I’ve been open over three years now. I love history, and it’s really delightful to hear the stories behind the items that I purchase for the shop. Most people have at least a few special pieces of clothing that they have saved over the years, whether it’s from a wedding or graduation or other special day, and it’s neat to know a little about the person who wore them or where event they wore their clothing to. One of my favorite pieces came from a woman who went to Woodstock when she was 16 (her parents had no idea she was there, she hitchhiked there from KC, and she got preggers at Woodstock!). While at Woodstock, she gathered discarded denim shirts, vests, and jeans (apparently people just threw their clothes everywhere), remade them into a shirt and embroidered them with her sewing kit. Her workmanship was absolutely amazing and the story, oh my!


What celebrity would you most like to wear your items?
Iris Apfel

If you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?
Can we count two words as one if I hyphenate them? Big-haired.

What is your biggest pet peeve?
Running out of hairspray.

What are your favorite websites?
Mainly fashion blogs -
http://msvintagevirgin.blogspot.com/
http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com/
http://jakandjil.com/blog/
http://www.manrepeller.com/
http://hjartesmil.blogg.no/

What is your dream job?
Livin the dream!

What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I can dance a mean soft-shoe.

Stay Sweet,
Kem

No comments:

Post a Comment