Shape up your Style I 2.0

In the first Installment of Shape up your style, we purged your beauty products.  Now that you have cleaned out every bag, every shelf, everywhere, it is time to restock!  I am going to now expound upon Step 3 from last time starting with Skin Care and working our way through Hair Care and Maintenance. Lets start with the basics

 Skin Care.  Since I am inching my way towards 30, I am taking better care of my skin then ever. If I were perfectly honest with you, I would tell you that I have been obsessed with taking care of my skin for a long time.  I have always been terrified of getting skin cancer or looking like a leather bag when I am 40, so this has been part of my routine since I was young.  I really think it matters less what you use, and more that you have a regimen.  Cleanse, Exfoliate, and Moisturize.  Those are the important steps.  I usually try to make sure that I have some sort of SPF in my moisturizer, but other than that, simple and easy. 1, 2, 3.  Obviously if you have a routine that covers more bases like, eye cream, wrinkle reduction, etc. that is fine. Continue on!  You have a routine, so congratulate yourself!  You are already ahead of the curve.  One of my favorite skin care lines is available at Sephora, Caudalie.  You can always ask for a sample.  It is love in a bottle!
Hair Care.  Now, again, if you already have a regimen, this is just a refresher.  This, however, does matter with brands.  I have nothing against less expensive brands, but I do know that, usually, if your hair is looking and feeling good, then you are using good products.  Ask your stylist the next time you go in for a cut, or color.  Do you know why your hair always looks amazing when you leave a salon?  Because they are 1. Using good products, and 2. well, its their job to know how to style your hair :)  Cheap products create buildup in your hair because they are made with "fillers"  Waxy, crappy fillers.  At first you might think, wow the _______ product makes my hair feel amazing and then after awhile you will notice that your hair feels limp, or frizzy, or dry.  Well, that my friends, is because it is cheaply made and starts to weigh hair down.  If you are thinking, gee Katty, I don't have all sorts of cash to go spending on salon products.  Don't fear! There are plenty of ways to get good deals.  
  1. Get in good with your stylist.  You scratch her back, she'll scratch yours.
  2. Shop at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.  They always have salon products for a fraction of the price.
  3. Get on Beauty Brands mailer list.  This is store is ALWAYS sending me coupons for FREE full sized products of $$$ off my purchase.  Plus they have annual liter sales on shampoo and conditioner and full size hairspray.  Amazing.

Maintenance.  So, your skin is looking and feeling good, your hair is looking and feeling great, and here is where the problem begins.  You are saying, "Um whatever, I looking like a bombshell thankyouverymuch."   Well, if you don't keep this up, or what I like to call "stay on the curve", then guess what, it won't last.  There is a reason your hair stylist tells you to come back in 6-8 weeks, and it is not because they want your money.  Maybe it is a little about that, but mostly, even if you are growing your hair out, you still need to keep it shaped up.  A good haircut can grow out nicely, but if you think "Oh, I don't need to see her/him for awhile, because I am growing my hair out." That is dead wrong.  Keep the ends trimmed, and the shape maintained.  No one wants to walk around with split ends and a cut in the shape of a mullet.  
  1. Keep seeing your hair stylist every 6-10 weeks, whatever they recommend.  They are the expert, so trust them.  Their name is on your head, so I promise they want you to look good.
  2. Ask your stylist about a good treatment between cuts.  If your hair is dry or frizzy, I bet they can recommend a great moisturizing masque for your hair.  Or, if you have fine limp hair, they can help your with volume.
Additionally in the Maintenance category, you need to maintain your skin as well.  I usually get a facial every 8-10 weeks.  This is a little indulgence I allow myself, and to me it is well worth it.  I would say if you don't want to splurge that often on an esthetician, then get a facial once a season.  I promise you will notice a big difference.  Every skin type undergoes big changes with the season, and a seasonal facial is a great way to jump start the beginning of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.  Beautiful skin wears makeup a lot better then skin that needs a little TLC.   Another very inexpensive way to change your skin, vitamins and water.  Seriously.  A multi-vitamin and a lot of water makes your skin look amazing.
  1. Visit an esthetician once a season, or every 8-10 weeks.  I promise you will like this.  And because they are a professional, they can recommend a skin care line targeted just to your needs.
  2.  Take a multi-vitamin once a day.  My fav, Women's One a Day.
  3. Drink half your weight, in ounces, of water per day.  Example : If you weigh 150, drink 75 ounces of water per day.

 Stay tuned for the the next installment of Shape up your Style, Idol Love.


Don't forget to enter for the Impact Jewelry Giveaway!

Stay Sweet,
Kem

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, and I truely believe that the true beauty is from within...

    ReplyDelete