Spotlight Interview ~ Vixen Pinup Photography

I know that you all have been scoping my space girl pictures! *teehee*  They are pretty amazing and that is not a pat on my back, that honor is all in part to Ms. Nikki Moreno & Ms. Candy Cunningham.  These ladies are the fabulous duo behind Vixen Pinup Photography.


Where are you from?
A: I'm from Kansas City, born and raised. I spent my first 17 years in Belton (dont judge lol). I didn't fit in very well, everyone there was very country and I was a little more edgy. I moved to the city as quickly as I could.

How did you get your photography studio started?

A: Since I was a teenager I've always dressed my friends up, put make up on them and took pictures. It was always my idea of a good time with my friends on a Friday night. I've always had tons of pin up clothes since its my personal style so we had clothing to dress up in for our shoots. When I was 26 a friend of mine asked me to do a pin up shoot for her. I took my point and shoot 3 megapixel camera and some hot lights and made her up pin up style. The photos were a big hit and once they hit myspace (remember those days!) I started getting a ton of requests. It dawned on me the question what should I do with my life suddenly was answered and had been right in front of my face for years. I then started renting a studio space from a camera store and I've had a few different studios since then. I met my business partner/make up artist Candy Cunningham about a year after I started Vixen and now were work and live in the same home we have our studio. Our studio and home is mid century inspired, kind of like walking into a time machine.

What inspires you?
A: burlesque, drag queens, high camp, fetish, vintage pin ups...the list could go on and on. Photographers like 666 photography, Celeste Giuliano and Viva Van Story inspire me to work harder at my craft. They have all achieved damn near perfection with their work.

How long have you been open and what is some of your favorite shoots?
A: We've been officially in business under the name Vixen Pin-Up Photography since 2007. Some of my favorite shoots were of course yours with space girl, our work with Unknown Hinson was a total blast and our work with Daisy Bucket and many of the local drag queens for an AIDS benefit calender.

What celebrity would you most like to photograph?
A: Margaret Cho, Ru Paul, Mosh, Dita Von Teese (cant choose just one!)

if you had to use only one word to describe yourself, what would it be?
A: driven

What is your biggest pet peeve?

A: Pretentious egos, I've seen a few so called models turn to the dark side with just a little fame and a few magazine publications. I hate being a part of blowing up egos with my photography but its an unfortunate part of the game

What are your favorite websites?

A: Craigslist! I'm on a constant look out for vintage mid-century furniture and retro lingerie. I also love Logo online, its were I get my Dragrace fix every week. And What Katie Did is another favorite for modern versions of old school style lingerie.

What is your dream job?

A: FX make up artist! I've done make up for a few small scale local movies and I loved it. But pin up photography is my first love and always will be.


What would people be surprised to learn about you?
A: I'm a huge animal lover. I have a Boston terrier named Clara and she's my baby. My fiance and I rescued her a few years ago and its even more made me want to help animals. We work with several local animal charities and put on events to raise funds as often as we can through Vixen. We also do a great deal of work with Pin Ups for Pitbulls. They are a very misunderstood breed and need our help to change stereo types.  


As a sweet reward, if you mention this blog, you will receive $50 off towards a shoot of $200 or more! Below are some of the spring packages they are offering:

VIXEN EXCLUSIVE- Spring Fever Packages (running April 1st- June 1st)
Bathing Beauty Package-$175
Includes:
3 Edited photos
Vintage bath set with bubbles
2 Hour photo shoot with access to props and clothing
1 Wardrobe Choice
Professional hair and make up session

Vintage Kitchen Package-$225
Includes:
5 Edited photos
2.5 Hour photo shoot with access to props and clothing
1 Wardrobe Choice
Professional hair and make up session

Atomic Era Living Room Package-$275
Includes:
5 Edited photos
3 Hour photo shoot with access to props and clothing
2 Wardrobe Choices
Professional hair and make up session


Stay Sweet,
Kem

5 comments:

  1. OMG! That's like my DREAM photoshoot! I'm an astronomer/aspiring astronaut, so this is exactly my style. You look GORGEOUS. Definitely gonna check out the photographer, and LOVE your blog =].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I love your career aspirations, I mean talk about shooting for the stars ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I know, right? Thanks! It's funny because my wardrobe is slowly starting to reflect my aspirations with tons of star/planet and galaxy prints. I wanna be a fashionable astronaut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos blow me away!! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete