|These are the small white pumpkins we grew by accident this year|
Because Halloween, my favorite holiday, is right around the corner, my house now looks like the "crazy" house on the block. We go crazy for this holiday and the closer we get to October 31st, the better the decorations get. No worries, pictures will follow.
It also means it is time for Apple Cider. I have made this quite a bit already. I just leave it simmering in my crock-pot, and dish it out when I feel like it. It is one of my favorite fall inspired drinks. Below is my favorite recipe for Hot Apple Cider. Think of it like liquid apple pie. I like to top it off with homemade whipped cream, and a cinnamon stick.
Hot Apple Cider
- 1 1/4 quarts apple cider
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 7 whole cinnamon sticks, (6 sticks for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Ground cloves
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together cider, sugar, spices, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; pour in brandy, if desired. Strain into a pitcher; discard solids. Serve in mugs, garnished with cinnamon sticks. (MarthaStewart.com)